Simply put, bad breath is embarrassing. Not only does it hinder your enthusiasm and confidence when you’re in social and professional settings, it can also be an indicator of more serious oral health problems, such as gum disease or severe cavities. In you suffer from this common malady, come visit Dr. Isaacson at his dental practice in Oklahoma City – our team will be happy to inspect your mouth and gums during a check-up and offer you methods to effectively combat the presence of bad breath. In the meantime, here are some helpful tips:
- Bad breath (also referred to as halitosis) is caused by foul-smelling bacteria, which most commonly found on the back on the tongue, which can be hard to reach with a regular toothbrush. Investing in a tongue scraper, as well as routinely brushing and flossing, will go a long way in helping keep bad breath at bay. Attending regular check-ups is a big help as well!
- Illnesses that affect other parts of your body can also contribute to the presence of bad breath, such as gastrointestinal issues, lung disease, sinus infections, diabetes, and liver or kidney problems. If you suffer from any of these conditions, it may be worthwhile to ask Dr. Isaacson and his team about the state of your breath at your next check-up.
- Using an anti-bacterial mouthwash daily can help add an extra layer of protection against stubborn germs.
- Likewise, chewing sugarless gum can help increase the production of saliva, which is a natural cleanser.
- While having bad breath every once in a while is normal, chronic bad breath should be checked immediately with your dentist; there may be a deeper problem at work.
Contact our Oklahoma City office today to schedule an appointment with our friendly dental team! We can’t wait to give you and your family a reason to smile. We also welcome patients from all over the surrounding OKC areas, such as Edmond, Yukon, Piedmont, Mustang, and beyond.